Re: Query NS <Root>

On Sunday 01 February 2004 14:02, Dale Amon wrote:
> What is the purpose of a DNS query NS <Root>? It returns
> to the requester my list of root servers, which seems
> pointless... and I am getting hit by them at the rate
> of several a second from various nameservers.

'dig . ns @<nameserver> > /etc/bind/db.root' can give you a new db.root
file for your nameserver. If its wise? Yes and no, your db.root must
contain valid data, but to take a random nameserver, that is not wise.

But than a gain, you can do a joke next month so people have a problem
or you can fix this problem by adding allow-query statements to your
named.conf and forcing people to abuse someone else.

Hans

--
"How should I know if it works? That's what beta testers are for. I only
coded it."