Re: Strange file atttributes

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 03:45:05PM +0200, Craig Schneider wrote:
>Hi Guys
>
>Am running 2.4.22 kernel on to Debian boxes and notice today that if I
>run an lsattr in
>the /bin and /sbin dir some of the files are coming up with strange
>attributes.
>
>Any ideas why ?> Or has the box more than lightly been exploited ?

depends what you mean by strange, this may come in handy:

http://www.knowngoods.org/
Online hash database. It's a database of MD5 and SHA-1 hashs for
standard OS files for various versions of FreeBSD, Linux, Mac OSX, and
Solaris.

on one of my computers (a dev box) I have -------c------ for all the
sbin files on another I have s------------t for some of the files and
exclusive -------------- on another.

the attributes don't look evil, I'm not sure exactly how they where
changed, but their md5sums check out okay.

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org