Re: gpg -- duplicated key -- how to get rid of it?

/ 2004-01-10 15:03:46 +0100
\ Lukas Ruf:

> when I switched from my pgp 2.x installation a couple of years ago,
> obviously I made a mistake, at least I do not know what I made
> wrong...
>
> However, I get the following message all the time I refresh-keys:
>
> uccellina:~/Conf!80> gpg --refresh-keys ruf@tik.ee.ethz
> gpg: refreshing 1 key from wwwkeys.ch.pgp.net
> gpg: key D20BA2ED: duplicated user ID detected - merged
> gpg: key D20BA2ED: "Lukas Ruf (PGP 2.x) <ruf@tik.ee.ethz.ch>" not changed
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg:              unchanged: 1
>
> I fiddled around with 'edit-key' -- but could not manage to get rid of
> the duplicated user ID.
>
> So, my question: does anyone know
> a) what I did the wrong way?
> b) what I need to do to get rid of this error?

make a backup of your key ring
read /usr/share/doc/packages/gpg/DETAILS or wherever that is on your box,
try gpg --list-keys --with-colons, which should make it easier to
find what exactly may be wrong
use gpg --delete-key <fingerprint>
to get rid of the key, if you really mean it

if unlikely and inconvenient, it still may be legal to have
duplicate UIDs ...

	Lars Ellenberg