Re: tiger: howto eliminate spurious cron errors?

Ryan Bradetich <ryan_bradetich@hp.com> [2004:01:07:15:08:22-0700] scribed:
> Michael,
>
> On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 13:26, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> > In the spirit of my current endeavor to eliminate noise from tiger, I
> > find myself receiving the following stderr reports from tiger via cron:
>
> Excellent.  Not sure if this is the correct list (if not, feel free to
> submit bugs or discuss them on the tiger-user/tiger-devel list at:
> 	http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/tiger).

OK.  First, I did not know whether or not these qualify as bugs.  In
that uncertain phase, I usually ping a user group for opinions on the
matter.  Second, I have been subscribed to the tiger mailing lists for
several months, and tiger-user has not had any posts since August 2003,
which were announcements; and, tiger-devel appears to be -- well --
development oriented.

> >    stdin: is not a tty
>
> This is probably from the check_root cron entry.  Upstream should have
> this fixed:
> 	http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/tiger-devel/2003-09/msg00031.html

Even Google has few references to this error, and none are tiger
related.

> >    /usr/bin/find: /usr/X11R6/bin/: No such file or directory
> >    /bin/sed: can't read /etc/printcap: No such file or directory
> >    /bin/ls: /boot/boot.b: No such file or directory
>
> These need to be fixed.  I know right where the last two are and have a
> good idea on the third one.  I will look at this and get a patch
> committed upstream.

``last two'' and ``third one'' make me wonder about that pesky _first_
find error ;>

> > Unfortunately, tiger.ignore cannot help me to eliminate this noise.
> > That first one is especially annoying, since I receive it several times
> > per day on several servers.
>
> Correct, these are generated via stderr instead of a tiger generate
> message so they are nor processes using tiger.ignore.
>
> > What do you think?
>
> Thanks for reporting these!

If there is a better forum for these posts, please, advise.

Thank you.

--
Best Regards,

mds