Re: Why do system users have non-empty $HOME? (was Re: Why do system users have valid shells)

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 07:03:13AM -0500, Joe Moore wrote:
> /etc/nohome, or something similar*.  Somewhere where I can say "There should
> be no files in that directory, because it's the home directory for disabled
> accounts."
>
> It should also be owned by root, permissions 1555.  It is optional to create
> zero-length .rhosts, .shosts, .netrc, etc (-r-------- root)

Interesting question. You shouldn't put it in /home, /var or /usr
because they might be partitions that aren't mounted yet; I'm not
sure /etc is a good place standards wise; the current default is
to drop people into /, which isn't good either. You don't want to make
it /root or probably not a subdir of /root; about the only
acceptable place I can think of is /nohome.