Re: Why do system users have valid shells

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:15:55 +0200
Tobias Reckhard <jester71@gmx.net> wrote:

> I.R.van Dongen wrote:
> > If the shells are changed, there are some really big consequences,
> > but
>
> Such as? Please share your knowledge. :-)

- manually compiled postgresql (user:postgres) expects the user it runs
as to have a valid shell (I'm not sure about the debian package)-
backports and 3th party debs might contain scripts that use the 'su -c'
as mentioned above.- home made script, or scripts copyed out of manuals/
from webpages might expect valid shells.

I didn't research the impact yet, so there might be more/less problems.

Gr,

Ivo van Dongen