Re: Why do system users have valid shells

<resend, to list this time>

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:27:54 +0200
Dariush Pietrzak <eyck@forumakad.pl> wrote:

> > 'su -s /bin/bash -c "cmd" user '
> >
> > sounds like a very bs argument
>  Do you understand the term 'breakage' ?
> How about the idea that changing something in the system may force to
> you to rewrite parts of code?

My comment wasn't either for or against changing the shells to
false/true. I was merly pointing out that su can be used to run commands
as a user that has no valid shell.

His entire line of reasoning was that he would need sudo or suid of the
shell isn't valid.

If the shells are changed, there are some really big consequences, but
the argument he pointed out was plainly wrong.

Greeting,

Ivo van Dongen