Re: How efficient is mounting /usr ro?

Steve Wray said on Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 01:22:48PM +1300:
> The answer we came up with was to update boxes by rsync
> with --delete

You may want to look at systemimager; it already does this, and it already
knows to exclude the stuff that you don't want to rsync.  I've been doing
something like this for over a year now, and it works really well.

> For completeness and added security, before the rsync takes place,
> we upload statically linked rsync and md5sum binaries. This way,
> the remote rsync program (set with --rsync-path) should be trustworthy.

I don't, however, do this.  This is a good idea.

> Also, the rsync process runs some scripts on the target machine,
> so any binaries used by these scripts are compared with
> a record of what they are supposed to be (these are held
> on the server), using the uploaded statically linked md5sum binary.

Hrm, I would use a static tripwire or equiv, but yeah, this is also a good
idea.  Of course, if you trust your rsync, then you don't have to worry about
the md5sums on the client.

You may want to look into using CVS + CVSup to distribute configs per client,
too.