Re: Advice Needed On Recent Rootings

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:01:33AM -0700, Mark Ferlatte wrote:
> Phillip Hofmeister said on Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:02:09AM -0400:
> > However, for the most part, chrooting is a valid countermeasure/method
> > to compartmentalize.  It is a shame that no distribution comes with
> > packages natively created with/for chrooting.
>
> I believe that OpenBSD does.

Yes it does. Although I don't believe that the way to go is chrooting since
it makes it very difficult to ease upgrades.

> Also, Debian's Bind 9 package is pretty trivial to chroot (although it doesn't
> by default).  Debian's postfix package does chroot by default, although you
> tend to have to turn it off if you want to use things like postfix-tls or SASL.

There are a number of patches in the BTS to make bind work in a chroot
environment out of the box, using bind's own chroot functionality. In any
case, there are also a number of packages to provide an easy way to setup
chroot/restricted environments (makejail and compartment come to mind).

In any case I don't think that chrooting is the way to go here, it was
built to be used as a testing/programing tool, not really a security tool.
There are number of (Linux) patches to provide full compartimentalization
of processes in the system which might be the way to go. Just my 2c.

Regards

Javi