Re: activating an unconfigured interface using /etc/network/interfaces...?

Hello Matthew,

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:34:32PM -0700, Matthew Whitworth wrote:
> I have a dual-homed host spanning two networks and I would like to leave
> one of its interfaces unconfigured so that I can use libpcap
> applications on that network unobserved.  I can do this using the
> command string "ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0 up", but I was wondering if there
> was a way to do this using the /etc/network/interfaces file and the
> ifup/ifdown commands.  If there is, I can't seem to get the syntax.

I use the following syntax, to bring up a MiniPCI wireless network
interface with no address, so it can be added to a bridge.  Different
purpose but same idea, I think.

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
        address 0.0.0.0
        netmask 255.255.255.254

Nothing actually gets added to the routing table, AFAICT, but it's
necessary to specify a netmask to stop ifupdown from complaining.

HTH,

 - Keegan