Re: Why is proftpd always started when one update it?

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:49:58PM +0200, Philippe Marzouk wrote:

> I agree with you for the /etc/rcX.d symlinks but various packages (not
> sure about proftpd) start their daemon when upgraded even if it was not
> started before and there is no start link in /etc/rcX.d, only stop links :
> I had this behaviour with tomcat4 for example or fetchmail.

I am not sure whether it is strictly required, but it is very easy to
support this (not starting on upgrade if the service is disabled), so you
should file bugs if this still happens with the most recent versions of
these packages.

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s10.3.3.2

--
 - mdz