Re: Why is proftpd always started when one update it?

Matt Zimmerman a dit :
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 12:51:46PM -0500, CARMICHAEL, SHAWN (ASI) wrote:
>
>> That occurs because that is how it is packaged in the .deb when you
>> download
>> and update it. Unless you package your own from source there is no work
>> around.
>
> There is no need for a work-around.  What is needed is to read the
> documentation for the proper way to disable startup of a daemon.

I agree with you for the /etc/rcX.d symlinks but various packages (not
sure about proftpd) start their daemon when upgraded even if it was not
started before and there is no start link in /etc/rcX.d, only stop links :
I had this behaviour with tomcat4 for example or fetchmail.

I, too, find this behaviour a little annoying and don't know if there is a
defined Debian policy.

Philippe