Re: Advice Needed On Recent Rootings

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 05:58:16PM -0400, David B Harris wrote:
> On Sun, 25 May 2003 13:04:30 -0500
> Jayson Vantuyl <kagato@souja.net> wrote:
> > We have no idea how he's getting in, but we've got his rootkit fairly
> > nailed down (he uses a few slightly different ones).
>
> Good god man! Include them in your post. There may be a new, unknown
> vulnerability. Not to mention that people will be able to tell you
> exactly what the rootkits do.

Maybe following the steps described in  "Chapter 10 - After the compromise
(incident response)" [1] of the Securing Debian Manual is best.

I think he might get also good answers if he posts this information to the
security-incidents mailing list [2] (maybe with a cross-post to this list
too)
Regards

JAvi

[1]