ip allmulti oddity (was: promiscuous mode)

Hi,

This might be just marginally security related, but here it goes.

Got curious about this and looked around. Checked ifconfig and ip
(iproute2).

,----
| # ifconfig eth1
| eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:c8:ca:4e:96
|           UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
`----

Yes, I switch off multicast using either:

  # ifconfig eth1 -multicast

or

  # ip link set eth1 multicast off

,----
| # ip link show eth1
| 3: eth1: <BROADCAST,ALLMULTI,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 100
|     link/ether 00:80:c8:ca:4e:96 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
`----

Notice the ALLMULTI flag here above.

I can manipulate the flag using ifconfig, but I found out I can't do that
using the distributed ip. Although ip shows the flag (even when ifconfig
doesn't), it can't handle it :(

,----
| # ip link help
| Usage: ip link set DEVICE { up | down | arp { on | off } |
|                              dynamic { on | off } |
|                              multicast { on | off } | txqueuelen PACKETS |
|                              name NEWNAME |
|                              address LLADDR | broadcast LLADDR |
|                              mtu MTU }
|        ip link show [ DEVICE ]
`----

This is the sid distributed package:

,----
| Package: iproute
| Maintainer: Juan Cespedes <cespedes@debian.org>
| Version: 20010824-9
`----

which is old, and I suspect this is an ip bug. Newer version(s) which
document support for ALLMULTI:

,----
| ip link set DEVICE { up | down | arp { on | off } |
|                promisc { on | off } |
|                allmulti { on | off } |
|                dynamic { on | off } |
|                multicast { on | off } |
|                txqueuelen PACKETS |
|                name NEWNAME |
|                address LLADDR | broadcast LLADDR |
|                mtu MTU }
`----

are available.

Does anyone know of any particular reason why the iproute package is not
yet updated (to a less buggy version)?

Cheers,
Cristian