Re: Recommended security management packages

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 08:58:16PM -0700, Tib wrote:
> I'm looking for information on packages that will do a nice job of keeping
> an eye on my system security-wise. PackageS because I know that no one
> packages can do it all.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch-sec-tools.en.html
Does this answer you?

> Currently all I've got is 'tiger', and while it does a good job it has
> issues like failed checksums against installed packages (well that's
> strange because I just installed that package and it already failes the

Yes. Some packages don't have checksums (see bug #155799, #155676...)
and if you change the configuration upon installation (through debconf.
for example) you will get those warnings.

Notice that Tiger 3.2 has an 'ignore' mechanism (similar to logcheck's)
that can avoid you from receiving this reports if you consider them false
positives. Quite flexible (hopefully)

> checksum?) and such. Does anyone have any recommendations?

As others have said, complement Tiger with a proper integrity database tool
(tripwire, integrit, aide, samhain, you choose :-)

Regards

Javi