Re: Logging User Activity

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 06:26:16PM +0100, Michael Parkinson wrote:
> [ I wrote ]
> > On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 03:33:36PM +0100, Michael Parkinson wrote:
> > > Dear All,
> > >
> > > Currently implementing a number of modifications to our internal security
> > > policies and one addition I am attempting to add is the full logging of
> > user
> > > activity.
> > >
> > > I cannot find any simple way of achieving this within the standard doc's
> > and
> > > searching the web for "log user activity linux debian" does throw up some
> > > not particularly useful links, including a package for filtering my users
> > > output to the FBI, not much good for the UK.
> > >
> > > Can anyone point me in the right direction?
> >
> > Are you trying to log activity on machines or on the network?
>
> Hi Nathan,
>
> Logging over the network would be ideal but to the machine if that is all
> that is available.

[ Let's keep this on the list, please ]

Well, where you log to is up to you, but that wasn't my question :-)

What activity are you trying to log?  Activity on machines (user a ran
this, consumed this much cpu time, etc.) or activity on the network
(user b accessed this site, consumed this much bandwidth, etc.) ?

The latter is far more difficult: how do you know that a packet was
caused by user b's activity?

  Exhilaration is that feeling you get just after a great idea hits you,
  and just before you realize what's wrong with it.