Re: mgetty vulnerable

Hi,

I am not subscribed to debian-security, so please include me in your Cc:
for this discussion.

I have noticed a "fax" user was expected in mgetty-1.1.30 (never played
with 1.1.29). The problem I have with that is that this user is required at
build time (during the make install phase). Another problem is that
Debian does not have such a user, although one used to exist temporarily
for hylafax a couple of years ago. Now, hylafax is using uucp, so is
pppd and every communication server package I know of in Debian.

The problem here seems to be that mgetty's sendfax was running under
used root. Now, if we use uucp (which I have modified mgetty 1.1.30 for
last week), I don't see where the problem is. I don't see the point in
requesting the creation of a user for one little program nor do I judge
this compromise (using uucp) as a security issue.

Please correct me if I am wrong though.

Wolfgang
ps: now it seems Debian mgetty's sendfax is broken since 1.1.30, but
this is another issue which will be fixed before next week.