Re: grsec patch over debian 2.4.20 kernel

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 03:17:56PM +0300, Ted Bukov wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>  I got the last 2.4.20 kernel with apt-get install. I want to patch it
> with grsec, but I met many times the follow message:
> "Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]"
> When I answered "yes" to all questions, the kernel compilation had failed.
> I think grsec patch have conficts with already patched debian kernel
> source, so is there any debian kernel sources with grsec applied? I don't
> want to use plain (vanilla) kernel, because of its ptrace vulnerability.
>  Thanks in advance.

I know that I had some issues when I put together my kernel, but I got
them resolved. Turned out that my kernel, at the time, wasn't proved to
be supported by grsec, yet.

Looking at the downloads section of grsecurity's website,
www.grsecurity.net and notice their latest version was published only
two days ago, grsecurity-1.9.9g-2.4.20.patch .

I'd suggest that you might consider checking on the mailing list over
there, as I'm sure that any quirks of the patch would be well known
there. Their mailing list info is at
http://www.grsecurity.net/mailinglist.php and the archives of the list
are at http://wws.grsecurity.net/wws/arc/grsecurity .

Personally, I'm happy with my current kernel and it's current patch and
having recently experienced a spate of downtime due to a SCSI drive (I
tried EVERYTHING before I finally replaced the drive - to my detriment)
I'm not looking to make a reboot until I absolutely have to. So I've not
touched the kernel lately. However, looking at some of the new admin
features of grsecurity, I think I'll add it to my so-called development
box.

HTH

+ It's simply not       | John Keimel            +
+ RFC1149 compliant!    | john@keimel.com        +
+                       | http://www.keimel.com  +