Re: VPN: SSH or IPSec???

	I haven't made use of SSH for VPN purposes as I tend to remove
PPP completely from the system after I install as I don't use dial-up
service for internet so I don't have it available for use with a SSH VPN
connection... I have used the FreeS/WAN IPSec solution and still use it
for a VPN solution for both Windows and Linux clients alike... On the
Windows side I use SSH Sentinel by SSH Communication and of course
FreeS/WAN for Linux both server and client side using X.509
certificate authentication... I haven't had any problems with IPSec that
would make me want to bother trying to use SSH for a VPN connection...

	One disadvantage I could see with SSH is that you would have to
have an account for the remote user to use to authenticate with to make
the VPN tunnel... Or a shared acct, dislike that idea even more... I
tend to run my IPSec VPN gateway machine with as few accts or access as
possible so this doesn't appeal or apply to my network topography...
With FreeS/WAN IPSec with X.509 certificates the configuration can be
made to accept valid certificiates signed by a specific Certificate
Authority (CA) which is easy enough to setup with OpenSSL provided
scripts... Then if you need to revoke access for a given certificate you
just issue the Certificate Revokation List (CRL), again using OpenSSL,
and FreeS/WAN will no longer honor that certificate.

	Regards,
	Jeremy