Re: ptrace exploit

Maurizio Lemmo - Tannoiser wrote:
On sabato 12 aprile 2003, alle 16:48, Markus Kolb wrote:

Nono, that's not what I'm asking... My question is, literally, _why_
doesn't woody have such a patch? (I applied it on my systems, I'm just
wondering why there isn't an official patch for this (Official for
Debian).

Perhaps, because there was no bug report against these packages?!

There's a bug report.

Well I opened one.
And it has been closed with this answer by Herbert Xu:

# I have put fixed stable packages on
#
# http://auric.debian.org/~herbert/
#
# I will also file for its removal from unstable.

There is a 2.4.18-7 and it should be at security.debian.org, shouldn't it?

For what i can see, there's the 2.4.20-patched in proposed-updated.
Maybe, this is the reason.

Or, 'cause the patch is actually a workaround, some software (say
netsaints, or nagios, i don't remember), dislike this "new bugfix" and
doesn't work.

But it can't be that Debian users have to look all around to get new secure kernel packages. Very strange...