own kernel vs debian kernel (was: ptrace exploit)

On Sábado, 12 de Abril de 2003 05:45, Birzan George Cristian wrote:
> This might be a stupid question

Hi all... let me ask another (probably) stupid question I've thought about for
a long time.

I always try to use precompiled software as much as possible, software coming
from the official debian sources, as this gives me the possibility to upgrade
them all with a simple apt-get update && apt-get -y dist-upgrade ; however,
as for the kernel, I always download sources from an official kernel.org
mirror and compile them myself with the traditional method.

So my question is: what is the approach people take for this point? Do you,
sysadmins with lots of machines, apt-get install kernel-source, or do you
rather get an official kernel? What pros and cons has each of these points?
Am I missing something important?

TIA for your answers and advice

	Pope

--