Debian Kernel's and FreeSwan

Title: Message
First and foremost, as the issue will probably demonstrate I'm relative to Linux, so bare with me.
Basically I am trying to get FreeSwan to run as server, but can't get the patch to work.
All my system's are running debian 3.0r0, and kernel 2.4.18 (my own make).
My System(s):
1) HP Netserver LS 5/166: 2 Intel Pentium 166, 128 MB RAM, running stable.
2) Pentium III-550, 128 MB RAM, running unstable/testing
3) Pentium 200 MMX , 64 MB RAM, running stable.

For you freeswan people(this message was cross posted to freeswan and debian mail lists). Debian has its own method of installing/making a kernel, and although I can compile one with what I assume to be the regular way, I'd prefer to do it the Debian way, and I am having problems with that.

Anyway I can succesfully complete and install a compiled kernel, but I am only trying to add a freeswan patch, so I have no idea if it's just my syntax or the specific package.

I have the freeswan kernel patch, it exists in /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/,  aswell it exists in .../apply and .../unpatch.

I then proceed to the kernel build directory and type make-kpkg --added-patches freeswan kernel_image, then install it dpkg -i (filename). I have also tried 'set PATCH_THE_KERNEL=YES' also tried sticking something akin to that in the .config file to know avail. I have searched google, can't find the guide I had a long time ago (been trying for a few months). Anyone have any ideas, or can point me towards a guide, that will go STEP by STEP.

Thanks,

Steve Ramage.