Re: Re: is iptables enough?

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 10:31:12AM +0100, I.R. van Dongen wrote:
> I hope that machine has scsi disks like my gateway (120MB & 1GB) since with that low on ram your machine is always swapping. That's usually no problem, but IDE disks tend to wear out fast when used 24/7. With more RAM (32-40M) your disks will be more standby.

Unfortuneately no. It's what I call a "bin diver special", a junk
machine an office was going to throw away. 400MB IDE of the old
sort.

If snort is report building, you hear a lot of disk
activity; through most of the day you only hear a
click every couple seconds or so. It doesn't swap
while passing ip traffic. Might do so if I really
try to max the bandwidth, but I've not noticed it.

Hey, I got 3 of them for free, had to do something
with them. I already had a doorstop. :-)

       IN MY NAME:            Dale Amon, CEO/MD
  No Mushroom clouds over     Islandone Society
    London and New York.      www.islandone.org