Re: OT: Is it so easy to break into an NIS?

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 09:40:00AM -0600, David Ehle wrote:
> As I understand it, OpenAFS is IBM sortware that was opensourced.  Coda
> was a wholely opensource project to implement AFS.  Please feel free to
> correct me if I'm wrong.

No, CODA is not simply an AFS implementation.  It is based on AFS, but
it supports things like offline use that are not supported by AFS.

The complete feature list from http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/ is:
   1.  disconnected operation for mobile computing
   2. is freely available under a liberal license
   3. high performance through client side persistent caching
   4. server replication
   5. security model for authentication, encryption and access control
   6. continued operation during partial network failures in server network
   7. network bandwith adaptation
   8. good scalability
   9. well defined semantics of sharing, even in the presence of network
      failures

I tried setting it up a couple of years ago.  It was evil.  I gave up
and haven't looked at it since.  At that time, there were sid packages
in experimental.  I don't know if they've actually been uploaded to
unstable or not.

noah