Re: [work] Integrity of Debian packages

Hi!

this is off topic, but in case you've been wondering, too:

* Joost Beintema <joost.from.fuzzums@beintema.dds.nl> [20030308 04:47]:
> > Your comment seems to lay blame for 9/11 on the intelligence community.
> > It's fair to say that they had major flaws at that time (and possibly
> > now as well). You could argue that this specific incident could have
> > been prevented if certain measures were in place. Keep in mind, the
> > perpetrators were a determined group that was willing to accept death in
> > the pursuit of their goal. That's a combination that is nearly unstoppable.
>
> All I hear is a war-yelling Bush but I haven' heared any good story (from
> politicians) about the WHY of attacks.

economic reasons:

- the oil price influences a HUGE part of the economy, having to pay the
  market price for iraq oil doesn't work
- the bush family is a not-so-small player in weapons industry as well
  as oil industry
- deficit/military/government spending is good for the economy (any
  economist can tell you that) .. the formula:

  GDP = C+G+I+X-Im
  (where:
  GDP == Gross Domestic Product
  C   == Consumption
  G   == Government spending
  I   == Investments
  X   == Exports
  Im  == Imports)

  .. this very formular also explains tax cuts, the deficit, the hype
  against foreign products / Imports, etc.
- military spending:
  Irak:    ~ 20.0% of GDP
  USA:     ~  5.5% of GDP (!)
  Germany: ~  3.5% of GDP
  .. reasoning goes that a raise of spending for weapons beyond a
  general percentage is a precursor for war - as it has always been

  the actual values don't seem to matter much - the fact that the US
  just have a _huge_ GDP does count a lot .. >>$400 _billion_ military
  expenses a year are 'only' 5.5% .. the ~$26 billion offered to turkey
  are interesting, too. far more interesting are the ~$15 _million_ for
  post-war refugee help (UNHCR).

  another question: how could iraq to something decent using its money,
  considering the sanctions and the interweavement of countries these
  times?
- old ammunition and weapon technologies have to be -uh- put out of
  service

political reasons:

- gaining access to he iraq oil fields would lessen the influence of
  OPEC, thus the oil price
- solving the palaestina/israel conflict would compromise israel
- disrupting europe unity means keeping relative strength

pyschological reasons:

- giving in to europe would mean losing face
- admiting one was wrong would mean losing face
- searching problems everywhere else but at home is far easier than
  facing reality
- powerlessness (e.g. regarding 9/11) of oneself usually results in
  applying power to others

.. just guessing. I'm pretty sure there are more in each category.

   Count

--
Andreas Kotes - ICQ: 3741366 - The views expressed herein are (only) mine.
Unser Leben ist das, wozu unser Denken es macht. -- OpenPGP key 0x8F94C228