Re: Permissions on /root/

At 20:23 Uhr +0100 08.03.2003, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
On 8 Mar 2003 at 17:40, Christian Jaeger wrote:

 At 13:02 Uhr +0200 08.03.2003, Birzan George Cristian wrote:
 - You should also be aware that a 0700 directory does not protect you
 if you are moving another directory from outside to inside, since
 users who have already chdir'd into it remain inside it. (Example:
 >    root:                                   anybody:
 >    -------------------------------------   ---------------------
 >      chmod 0700 /root
      # root feels safe
      mkdir /blah
                                             chdir /blah
      mv /blah /root
      # root thinks "ok now blah is safe"
      cd /root/blah
      cat > info
      (enters sensitive info, Ctl-D)
 >                                             cat info
 >                                             (looks at info)

why is he allowed to use "mv /blah /root"? /root is write-protected
so why could he move blah inside of it?

It is *root* who is moving the dir. (Left side. I've increased the space a bit.) And he (is root masculine?) is moving anybody right into the secret area at the same time.