VPN performance with tunnelv

Hello folks,

Some time ago I've configured two Debian servers as VPN endpoints, they
use the tunnelv package to route VPN traffic between two LANs.

Now we've connected to this networks some voice over IP phones which we
would like to use through the VPN, the connection works and is securely
encrypted but network performance is quite low.

The network performance is not a problem of the underlying network
bandwidth cause when I send some packets directly from one LAN endpoint to
another, without traveling across the VPN, the connection is quite fast.

The two endpoints are build up from Intel PII 266MHz CPUs and have almost
128 MBs of RAM so I actually don't think the VPN performance could be
directly related with the hardware performance, encryption and decryption
of the VPN data plus routing should not be a problem with this kind of
hardware, am I right?

I'm actually considering to switch the VPN from tunnelv to freeswan if
this could increase the network performance.

Any suggestions or pointers for this kind of problem?

Thanks in advance for feedback, have a nice day,

 I.

--
 Ivo Marino                   eim@eimbox.org