Re: Sarge freeze and security updates

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 06:25:17PM +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 01:35:22AM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:

Hi,

> > There is a side effect that this means that few of the security fixes
> > are making it through to Sarge, either. There is talk about using the
> > security update system to produce security releases for Sarge, but those
> > responsible for Sid are concerned about package numbering, among other
> > problems, and are reluctant to see that implemented, as this situation
> > is really a rarity (a perfect storm of stalled dependencies in Sid
> > blocking so much concurrently.)
>
> It would however be nice to have security available for sarge for
> reassurance but also so that people could choose it as a supported
> release of Debian.
Testing is not a supported release, testing is a place where developers and
packagers try to get a stable base for a new release think of it like a dynamic
beta version.

> I don't see why people are worried about numbering for security patches
> for testing.  Why wouldn't they be done in the same way that security
> patches are done at the moment?  i.e 1.2.3-1.sarge.1 as the security fix
> for 1.2.3-1
It's not the intention of testing to be used as a release. It is a testing
stage in the hard process to get from one stable release to another. What's
more needed are shorter release cycles so that there is no need to switch
to something between the bleeding edge and a security nightmare.
Maybe it's easier to understand that if you call the baby testing instead
of the nice nick name cause testing describes better what it is atm and not
what it's going to be.

Another fact is that security support for testing would consume resources
wich are more needed in the development and freezing prozess.

I hope that you can now understand what testing is and why there should not
be security support for it.

Sven

--
Revolution is not a dinner party, not an essay, nor a painting, nor a piece of
embroidery; it cannot be advanced softly, gradually, carefully, considerately,