Unusable Update for Stable

Hi!

Does anybody know why stable/updates/main on http://security.debian.org
has a package that depends on a libc that is not available for Stable?

That is there is a new libapache-mod-ssl that depends on libc6 (>=
2.3.1-1) but libc in Stable is at 2.2.5-11.2. 2.3.1-1 is still in
unstable.

I can only believe somebody made the mistake to package an update for
Stable on an Unstable machine, or a machine that had been "contaminated"
with Unstable packages that pulled in libc from Unstable.

# apt-get -u dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Starting
Starting 2
Investigating libapache-mod-ssl
Package libapache-mod-ssl has broken dep on libc6
  Considering libc6 3008 as a solution to libapache-mod-ssl 0
  Holding Back libapache-mod-ssl rather than change libc6
 Try to Re-Instate libapache-mod-ssl
Done
Done
The following packages have been kept back
  libapache-mod-ssl
The following packages will be upgraded
  chkrootkit
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/198kB of archives. After unpacking 385kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

(Ignore chkrootkit, that's something I messed up locally ...)

# apt-get install libapache-mod-ssl
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Starting
Starting 2
Investigating libapache-mod-ssl
Package libapache-mod-ssl has broken dep on libc6
  Considering libc6 3008 as a solution to libapache-mod-ssl 10000
Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  libapache-mod-ssl: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.1-1) but 2.2.5-11.2 is to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages

# apt-cache policy libapache-mod-ssl
libapache-mod-ssl:
  Installed: 2.8.9-2.1
  Candidate: 2.8.9-2.3
  Version Table:
     2.8.9-2.3 0
        500 http://ftp.tu-clausthal.de unstable/non-US/main Packages
     2.8.9-2.2 0
        500 http://ftp.tu-clausthal.de testing/non-US/main Packages
 *** 2.8.9-2.1 0
        200 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.8.7-1 0
        500 http://ftp.tu-clausthal.de stable/non-US/main Packages

x# apt-cache policy libc6
libc6:
  Installed: 2.2.5-11.2
  Candidate: 2.2.5-11.2
  Version Table:
     2.3.1-11 0
         -1 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
     2.2.5-14.3 0
         -1 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
 *** 2.2.5-11.2 0
        200 http://ftp.de.debian.org stable/main Packages
        200 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| Big Misunderstandings #6398: The Titanic was not supposed to be        |