Re: latest increase in the number of security advisories

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 19:18, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 06:29:27PM -0500, Oleg wrote:
>
> > There seemed to be a LOT more security advisories lately. Is there any
> > particular reason for this? Was it a result of adopting automatic tools
> > like valgrind by the security teams or a purely random fluctuation?
>
> It is a result of a general, widespread increase in the discovery of
> security holes.  As for the reasons for that, one can only speculate, but so
> far there is no sign of a slowdown.
>
> --
>  - mdz

I'd also observe that most of the ones this past week were KDE 2
related, likely leaning to a coding practice that was used in numerous
places about the release, and now that it is known to be vulnerable, it
is being tracked down in its various uses.

My own preference is for it to be found and fixed *before* it is
exploited, rather than *after* it has been Microsofted.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org