Re: I'm searching for a network wide system update tool

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003, Ivo Marino wrote:
> I've setup apt-proxy server in my network, all Debian packages for each
> server in this network are downloaded from there.
>
> I think using a cron-job like cron-apt for updating security related
> packages automaticly on the servers not only could be a problem considering
> the securtiy point of view but also this could corrupt a server configuration
> and leave the system/service out of function.
>
> I prefer to launch manually a script which logs via ssh into each server
> and performs the packages update procedure.
>
> Anyone has allready written a script like the one described above or
> maybe knows an allready existing application which could perform this
> task? Thanks.

Hi Ivo,

Not a full solutiont, but try dsh maybe: Dancer Shell or Distributed
Shell, which can replicate commands via ssh on groups of
nodes/servers/etc...

HTH,
Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman <freedman@physics.cornell.edu>, Graduate Fellow
  Electronic Structure Calculations, LASSP, Cornell University