Re: BCC fields shown

Csillag Krist?f wrote:

> Soren Boll Overgaard pointed out that deleting the BCC fields from the
> mails sent to other recipients is not the mail client's responsibility.
> It should be done by the MTA.

Soren isn't entirely right.  In practice its more sane for the MUA to
process, then remove, the Bcc field before sending the message,
especially if the MUA will be speaking SMTP to send the message.

> Evolution is configured to use /usr/sbin/sendmail for sending
> out mails.

Local injection adheres by no standard accross MTAs, but a reasonable
thing for an injection program to do is to process and remove the Bcc
field atleast in the case where the program is called without any
arguments (the arguments being, traditionally, the addresses of the
intended recipients).  In many injection programs, the behavior that
dictates how recipients are chosen is configurable.

> If I configure it to use the SMTP server at localhost, it is working
> properly.

I wouldn't rely on that, if its not your MUA removing the Bcc you
should be aware not all SMTP servers are going to remove that field
for you.

> So I guess this is a bug in the sendmail program in exim ??

Maybe, or maybe the proper flags simply aren't being passed to your
local injection program to tell it to abide by the behavior you
expect.

--
Jamie Heilman                   http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"I was in love once -- a Sinclair ZX-81.  People said, "No, Holly, she's