Re: scrollkeeper loading external (online) DTD

> From: Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca>
> Subject: Re: scrollkeeper loading external (online) DTD
> Date: 10/01/2003 6:33:22

snip

> DTDs cannot introduce any vulnerabilities (unless the XML parser is
> horribly buggy).  The worst that can happen is that the file doesn't
> validate, and scrollkeeper complains.

snip

Is this strictly true?  There have been a few articles
on bugtraq recently around this kind of thing.
One in the area of "bugs", and one around external
entities and the potential for a "rogue" DTD to
specify bad URIs.  In particular an external
reference might cause a parser to open a connection
to a site that the user would not wish.

Alternately, an entity reference might translate
to some form of control string for the
application that is later using the parsed XML.

And even if the only concern is around bugs,
surely experience would indicate that given
the growing use of XML parsers in a wide range
of applications, we should be careful of all input?

External Entities :

http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/297714

and

DTD DoS bug :