Re: How to get the current security updates on CD?

* John Morton <jwm@plain.co.nz> [20030106 23:53]:
> On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 04:37, kynn@panix.com wrote:
> >>    2) Set up a private ftp/http mirror of security.debian.org and update
> >>       the system from there before connecting it to the internet...
> >
> > Yes, this is what I would like to do, but I'm not clear on the
> > mechanics of doing it.  Does any Howto describe how to do this?  Do I
> > need root access for the mirror site?  Where can I find instructions?
>
> You could mirror the whole site via ftp or rsync as described elsewhere, but
> if bandwidth usage and storage space are important to you, I'd recommend the
> apt-move package as being the easiest way to mirror a specific arch/distro
> combination.

... or you could use apt-proxy (which gets package lists and caches packages
requested at least once on the local disk) and disallow incoming connections
before you got your system updated via it. this way, you only download and
store packages indeed used by your machines, and only transmit each paket
once from security.debian.org to your apt-proxy.

in case you're concerned about package integrity, consider using the
debsig/debsig-verify packages.

just my EUR 0.02 ..

   Count