howto calculate fingerprints from ssh host keys?

Hi,

this might be a stupid question but I did not find a quick answer
by a google search or by reading the ssh faq:

At the first ssh login the user is presented a fingerprint, e.g.

> DSA key fingerprint is df:c2:72:01:ee:0d:05:f9:a1:4f:de:56:a7:48:bd:90

I tried to figure out how to gather these fingerprints from
a bunch of servers. Obviously ssh-keyscan can be used to collect
the public keys, but is there an easy way to calculate the
fingerprints?

Thanks for a hint, Thomas