Re: pop mail recommendations

Jeff AA wrote:

Second the recommendation for courier.

We have exim / courier [pop imap pops imaps] using maildir formats
and controlled from mysql for virtual users accepting mail for about
20 domains.

We did compare with Cyrus, but that fell down on integration with
exim.

This is the list dpkg -l *courier* | grep ii shows:

ii  courier-authda 0.37.3-2.3     Courier Mail Server authentication
daemon
ii  courier-authmy 0.37.3-2.3     MySQL Authentication for Courier Mail
Server
ii  courier-base   0.37.3-2.3     Courier Mail Server Base System
ii  courier-imap   1.4.3-2.3      IMAP daemon with PAM and Maildir
support
ii  courier-imap-s 1.4.3-3.1      IMAP daemon with SSL, PAM and Maildir
suppor
ii  courier-pop    0.37.3-2.3     POP3 daemon with PAM and Maildir
support
ii  courier-pop-ss 0.37.3-3.1     POP3 daemon with SSL, PAM and Maildir
suppor
ii  courier-ssl    0.37.3-3.1     Courier Mail Server SSL Package
third the recco for courier/exim. lightweight, fast, reliable. You can also use sqwebmail for your webmail, which is written by the courier author(s), and uses the same libs to talk directly to the maildir folders. It'll allow users to login and change passwords (which may require sqwebmail to be setuid root if you authenticate off of /etc/passwd, which you likely don't want to do, but use postgres or something instead)

ymmv, but this is definitely the way to go for me.

-g

Remember that pop3 by default is insecure in that user/passwords
pass in the clear over the net - DON'T make your mail users real users with shell access or you are opening a large number of doors and putting out a nice big 'Hack here!' flag. A little tcpdump on your segment will get you a nice list of all the users / passwords for all your pop users - use pop-ssl instead.

regards
Jeff