RE: pop mail recommendations

Second the recommendation for courier.

We have exim / courier [pop imap pops imaps] using maildir formats
and controlled from mysql for virtual users accepting mail for about
20 domains.

We did compare with Cyrus, but that fell down on integration with
exim.

This is the list dpkg -l *courier* | grep ii shows:

ii  courier-authda 0.37.3-2.3     Courier Mail Server authentication
daemon
ii  courier-authmy 0.37.3-2.3     MySQL Authentication for Courier Mail
Server
ii  courier-base   0.37.3-2.3     Courier Mail Server Base System
ii  courier-imap   1.4.3-2.3      IMAP daemon with PAM and Maildir
support
ii  courier-imap-s 1.4.3-3.1      IMAP daemon with SSL, PAM and Maildir
suppor
ii  courier-pop    0.37.3-2.3     POP3 daemon with PAM and Maildir
support
ii  courier-pop-ss 0.37.3-3.1     POP3 daemon with SSL, PAM and Maildir
suppor
ii  courier-ssl    0.37.3-3.1     Courier Mail Server SSL Package

Remember that pop3 by default is insecure in that user/passwords
pass in the clear over the net - DON'T make your mail users real users
with shell access or you are opening a large number of doors and putting
out a nice big 'Hack here!' flag. A little tcpdump on your segment will
get you a nice list of all the users / passwords for all your pop users
-
use pop-ssl instead.

regards
Jeff