Re: pop mail recommendations

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 03:31:31AM -0800, Ted Roby wrote:
> On Friday, Dec 6, 2002, at 03:18 US/Pacific, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> >On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 12:07:10PM +0100, andres wrote:
> >>apt-get install qpopper
> >>;-)
> >*rotfl* Hope that wasn't a serious answer.
> >apt-cache search pop3
> >
> >I suggest popa3d from http://www.openwall.com but I'm not sure
> >if you can use it in standalone mode.
>
> I like the look of popa3d, but it does not support md5 or ssl
> transport. I know this is trivial protection, but every layer helps.
Well you asked for pop3 not pop3s. For security and pop3s courier might
be a good choice but it's quite complex. (IMHO)

> Qpopper does look interesting. Since version 4 it has been released as
> free open source (I'm compiling it now, just to take a look). I have
> experience with Eudora mail products, primarily EIMS running on MacOS,
> so I am familiar with their processes.
On one of my machines I still use qpopper but the security history is a
pain. Root eploits, DoS stuff and others ...
On the other hand qpopper is easy to set up and fast engough for a small
enviroment but I would definitly not call qpopper secure.

Sven

BTW: qpopper was OpenSource software from the beginning. They just split
up a part of it for a commercial product but changed this strategy back
to one opensource product for all quite fast.