[OT] secure, minimal Debian installation for linux-based thin clients?

This  is   unrelated  to  any  security  patches   /  exploits,  hence
off-topic. I'm  posting here  mostly because it  seems like  the right
crowd for this  sort of problem. If this offends you,  let me know and
I'll find a different venue in the future.

OK.   We're a  large network  running  lots (~100)  thin clients,  and
expecting  to run more  of them  in the  future. Currently,  these are
NeoWare  Eon's (mobile  x86  cpu) running  Linux  (an old  scaled-down
RedHat),  with  an  NFS-mounted  root  fs.  They  run  almost  nothing
locally: currently an  X server,  sshd, and  possibly some  music forwarding
daemon  in the  future, so  users can  listen to  tunes on  their thin
clients using  software on the server  (we don't give  users access to
the local software).

Now, we're looking  to upgrade the Linux on these  thin clients. I like
Debian,  so that's  one  obvious choice.  However,  a standard  Debian
install (e.g.  what I run  on my machine)  gives us much more  than we
need. This isn't fatal, since  the filesystem is NFS-mounted, but it's
not clean, either. Is  there a Debian-derived minimal distribution? Or
should we just install the base Debian system, add X via tasksel, and
add/remove remaining items with dselect or apt-get?

There is  obviously more  than one solution  here, so I'm  looking for
recommendations.  We  care about  security; we don't  want to  run any
services  we don't  need, etc.  Reliability  is key,  so your  uncle's
friend's brother's alpha software might not be for us.

Any other comments (relevant to  Debian on thin clients / X terminals)
welcome.

-chris