Re: Security on an old machine

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:48:14PM -0500, Steve Meyer wrote:

> I have an old 486 without a cdrom in it.  If I pull the hard drive and
> stick it in another machine to perform the install will this work?  And if
> it does work will it make the system any less secure?

I did this with a 486 that I had.  Assuming that the hard drive is big
enough, and that you pick the right kernel (compiled for the 486, not
Pentium and so forth), you should have no problems.

As for security, I haven't noticed any flaws.  I have close all ports
besides ssh (because the 486 is my ipmasq box), and have a firewall
blocking everything else.  So far so good.

Happy to help,

Edward Guldemond

Key fingerprint:  29FF 2969 A04E F934 3F03
                  4329 BC56 3AA7 2F57 6735