Re: postfix in qmail out proftpd in pureftpd

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 07:39:30PM +0200, WebMaster wrote:
> hello Kourosh,
>
> > There are .debs for qmail.  The debs are not official because
> > qmail apparently doesn't adhere to Debain Policy.
>

> what do you mean by debian policy? (under gnu/gpl?)
>

> ------------
> Ivan Rambeau
> FranceOnLine
> ------------

On the first page there is a link to a page that talks about
why there are no official .deb packages.  Apparently DJB, the
author of qmail and other tools, has a license that doesn't
allow distribution of modified packages.  Since the software
DJB writes doesn't adhere to the FHS, i.e. certain files are
kept in places other than where the FHS would put them, the
software can't be distributed as an official .deb.

That's my understanding of it.

There have been numerous discussions about this on the qmail
lists and other places and I'm sure if you did a Google
search you'll probably find plenty of them.

For more qmail info, inlcuding links to the .deb page, go
to www.qmail.org.

Regards.

Kourosh