Re: no more /sbin in root path... been rooted?

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, David Raulo wrote:

# Hi all,
#
# I have 2 woody boxes, the first one configured as an adsl firewall (a simple
# iptable-deny-everything stuff, no local service running, only LAN originated
# traffic allowed).  On the second box since yesterday, my path when logging as
# root became "/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games", like the
# one for an ordinary user.  Same behavior if I "su -" from an ordinary
# account, but the good old root path is back if I just type "su" (without the
# hyphen).
#
# Where does Debian define the root login path?  I checked /etc/login.defs (and
# of course /root/.bashrc), but nothing changed / my other woody box.  Btw why
# is the default user path defined both in /etc/login.defs and /etc/profile?
#
# Is this strange behavior a known sign of intrusion? I got nothing unusual in
# both machines's logs... I also tried chkrootkit, nothing found.  Of course I
# might also have done something wrong, but can't remember what.
#
# Does anyone have a hint on what's going on?

Did you login via SSH ??

Cheers

Indra Kusuma
--
 ,''`. Indra{@,.}Kusuma.OR.ID -> [Security - Debian/GNU Linux - IPv6]
: :' : 0x4D829E49 - 187D 8C98 FB76 E1A8 5558 853A 4795 4FC1 4D82 9E49