Re: Why is there a prompt for a root shell when the default linux kernel boots?

On Tue Apr 30, 2002 at 03:50:27PM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> 	Culd someone explain why is there a root shell prompt for the
> Linux kernel:
>
> "Press ENTER to obtain a shell" (waits 5 seconds)
>
> 	This seems something related to the cramfs filesystem (ramdisk)
> but I'm not knowledgeable about it. I would like:

It is there as part of the installer to make like easier
for those wishing to do things that the installer does not
support by default.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with
cramfs or the kernel.

> 1.- an explanation on why this is shipped by default (to add it to the
> "Securing Debian Manual"

This shell is part of the installer, not part of Debian.

> 2.- someone to step up an explain how to disable this behavior

Do what you want to your boot-floppies.  The boot-floppies
have been this way for years and I like it as is.  It is
not a security hole.  If some malicious person has physical
accesss to your computer, you have far bigger problems than
the Debian boot-floppies.

 -Erik