Re: world readable log files and /etc/ files

On Monday, 2002-04-29 at 02:40:57 +1000, Ian Cumming wrote:

> I was just cleaning up after rebuilding a machine, and I decided to take
> a look at the log file and /etc permissions.

Which release? Woody?

> I was quite alarmed. There seem to be many files with world readable
> permissions, which _shouldnt_.

> ie:
> /var/log/xfer.log

Probably depends on your flavour of ftp daemon. Mine is
-rw-r-----    1 root     adm           335 Apr 24 15:46 /var/log/xferlog

> /var/log/samba/*

Here, /var/log/samba is:
drwxr-x---    2 root     adm          4096 Apr 28 07:48 /var/log/samba
The files *are*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        11144 Apr 28 14:49 log.nmbd
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1314 Apr 29 10:24 log.smbd
but this doesn't matter.

> /var/log/mailman/*

I don't have mailman, so I can't comment.

> and in /etc:
> /etc/proftpd.conf

I don't see anything that needs protection in my (default) proftpd.conf.

> /etc/netatalk/*

Don't have.

> /etc/smb/smb.conf

This one can have user names, so I guess it would be better off with
tighter access modes.

> /etc/apache-perl/cron.conf

I have no idea what this file is.

> What is the policy for log files? I understand that it doesnt do _that_
> much harm allowing others to read, but it does disclose more than I want
> to reveal.

Actually, having tighter access rights on logfiles may lead to the admin
handing out the root password to more people, resulting in lowered
security.

> And now every time I install a package, I'm paranoid about the
> permissions, so I have to go check them.

Be paranoid within reason. If you tighten security so much that you can
only work as root, you're easier to screw by trojans.

Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |        http://free.prohosting.com/~lupe |
| I have challenged the entire ISO-9000 quality assurance team to a      |