IPtables and Connection Tracking

Hi,

today I saw something mysterious with IPtables. I had a little mistake
in my script. To test the funktionality. i pinged a host in the www and
changed then the wrong entries in my script. I looked with tcpdump if
the ping becomes a reply. But erverything i've done, no reply came back.

Then i pinged from another maschine in the same subnet and i've become a
reply.

Does the connection tracking hold the connections even if the firewall
was flushed?

If it is so, is it a bug or a feature?

Thanks to all

Thorsten