Re: Lost root password!!

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:56:51 -0700
Kevin <coggy@redefine.org> wrote:

> if you're using libpam-cracklib it could be related to this
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=112965&repeatmerged=yes

Thank you so much,

After reading that bug report I realized that I was using libpam-cracklib to re-inforce password strength checking as recomemded in the Securing Debian Manual.

Once I had booted into a root shell, deleted the root's password field in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, and edited /etc/pam.d/passwd and /etc/pam.d/login, I was able to change the root password.

What still bothers me is that bug report was filled against Patato, and I'm running Woody, yet the bug is still present. What happens when Woody goes stable and multiple sysadmins start using the bugged version libpam-cracklib on their servers?

Should'nt this be brought up to some developpers attention?

Again, thanks for all our help :D

Stef