Re: Webserver questions: using samba, avoiding cleartext passwords, co-existing with Windows

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002, Tom Dominico wrote:
> I have a Debian webserver that currently runs SSH, HTTP, and SMTP
> services.  The SMTP service only accepts mail from the local interface.
> I try to keep my box free of any excess services that might lead to
> vulnerabilities, or that transmit authentication information via
> cleartext.  I am running into some issues, however, where having only
> SCP access for file transfer is not convenient.

You can tunnel ftp through ssh between the windows clients and your server.
This is probably easier to accomplish with many different client apps than
trying to go for ftp w/ ssl, but (since I don't have any windows clients, so can
generally just use sftp/scp for my needs) I don't have first-hand knowledge
of this approach.

Take care,
Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics