Re: DoS in debian (potato) proftpd: 1.2.0pre10-2.0potato1

On 3/29/02 3:40 PM martin f krafft said...

>dear bugtraq'ers,
>
>i must confess that the information i provided wrt the acclaimed DoS
>exploit in Debian potato's proftpd package (1.2.0pre10-2.0potato1) was
>not fully accurate. the package *does in fact contain a buggy daemon*
>despite having been fixed, according to the changelog:
>
>  proftpd (1.2.0pre10-2.0potato1) stable; urgency=high

<snip>

>i don't think it's necessary to discuss this; the daemon as packaged
>by debian is buggy and that has to be fixed. but i hope i was able to
>give you some more information on the extent of the exploit. i will
>do my best to push a fixed package into the APT archive at
>security.debian.org as soon as possible.

Plus 1.2.0 went final back in January 2001.  It's been out for over a
year.  Many versions without this bug have been released for some time.
I don't see any reason to beat a dead horse.  Any distribution that still
ships anything older than 1.2.4 should simply make 1.2.4 available in the
updates or errata.

--
Justin Shore, ES-SS ES-SSR      Pittsburg State University
Network & Systems Manager       Kelce 157Q

Warning:  This message has been quadruple Rot13'ed for your protection.