Re: on potato's proftpd

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 03:22:39AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> but give me at least one argument why these acts cannot combine with
> a *temporary* fix uploaded to the so-called "security archives".

There are several good reasons:

  - If a band-aid fix is allowed, there is less incentive to find
    the correct fix.

  - If the problem isn't understood, there is a good chance that the
    band-aid doesn't really fix the problem, and a fair chance that
    it creates new problems.  If there are related problems (eg,
    similar bugs in different programs), they may go undiscovered.

  - Users would have to upgrade again when the permanent fix is
    released.  People running production systems like to minimize
    changes, so this could make them unhappy.

I think Wichert's position

Andrew