Re: failed ssh breakins on my exposed www box ..

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 11:44:26AM -0500, Gary MacDougall wrote:
> We seriouslly need a US branch of the law-enforcement to deal
> with this sort of stuff.  I think if more people got prosecuted for
> trying to crack into a site, the level of BS would drop to zero.

Sure, but this particular attempt was from Europe.  I'd certainly hate
to see U.S. law enforcement going after people in other countries for
such trivial crimes as this half-assed brute force cracking attempt.
It's too easy for cracking to cross boundaries of authority and
jurisdiction.

For cases computer crime within the US, the FBI gets involved.  However,
they're so overworked that the damage done must be very substantial
before they'll even look at the case.

noah